Birmingham Locksmith: Deadbolts, Why for Homeowners
As a homeowner, you need to make sure that your home has security devices that are both effective and relevant to your situation. You may not need the fanciest of locks or the highest level of security for your home. But, you will definitely need some form of security. If you prefer to leave all of those concerns in the hands of a professional, no problem! There is a great team of locksmiths at Birmingham Locksmith that can provide all the assistance that you need for your residential locks. If you don’t reside in Birmingham, you will need to make sure that you find a locksmith in your area that you can trust. Want to get more involved in the process? There’s no time like the present. Let’s talk more about deadbolts and how they can be a great asset to your property. If you aren’t familiar with deadbolts and how they work or how much protection they can offer, this will definitely be an eye-opener for you. Keep reading!
What is a Deadbolt?
Deadbolts are very common to residential properties. They utilize a locking mechanism that is very safe and secure. Deadbolts often require the use of a key to be opened, but recently, there have been deadbolts that operate with keyless options. Although they tend to be used in addition to other types of locks, deadbolts are usually the main or better source of protection when they are used. Once there is a deadbolt, it becomes increasingly difficult for forced entry to be successful. This is one of the main reasons why this type of lock remains so popular with homeowners.Types of Deadbolts
Deadbolts are sold in a lot of variety. But, there are two main options- keyed and keyless. Within these two categories, there are still quite a few other variations. This goes to show that regardless of your budget or the level of security that you need, deadbolts are a viable option for you. If you want to select security products that have been tried and proven to be very effective for a number of years, deadbolts are definitely the way to go. Check out some of the types of deadbolts that you can use for your home.
- Single cylinder This is perhaps one of the most common types of deadbolts that is used on homes. It only requires a key for one side of the lock. On the other side, all you need to do is twist a knob. This knob can both lock or unlock the door depending on how it is turned. But, there is no going around using a key to open the lock on the opposite side.
- Double cylinder
This is a bit less commonly used and it has been the source of some concern. Why? This type of deadbolt is so secure that it may be cause for security concern if there is an emergency. It requires a key to be locked and unlocked. Can you imagine the disaster that could occur if someone couldn’t find their key in an emergency? So, although this type of lock offers such a high level of security, think carefully about installing it in your home.
- Keyless options
Both options previously mentioned require keys. However, there are deadbolts built on the same principles that operate without the use of a key. In some cases, these locks may have keys as an option but you are not required to use them. Depending on the system, you could use passcodes, cards or some other means of entry. Many people believe that keyless systems are better as they offer more security. However, if a keyed version is all you can afford, your home will still be secure.
Advantages of Deadbolts
There are several advantages to using deadbolts. If you are still not confident in their ability, here are a few reasons why you should be.
- They are very safe. The safety of deadbolts has been proven over and over again. It cannot be stressed or emphasized enough. These locks are just a very great product overall. No matter how much security you need for your home, there is a variation of deadbolt that you can rely on to provide it.
- They are affordable. If your budget is limited, you may not have a lot of good options when it comes on to devices that can keep your home safe. But, there is one product that remains affordable and highly effective- deadbolts. And, one of the amazing things about them too is that they will not require a lot of maintenance. Once you purchase and install them, the majority of your expense is already out of the way.
- They are easy to install and use. Deadbolts do not require a ton of expertise to install, but they require adequate knowledge and some amount of experience. Since both parts of the deadbolt have to line up perfectly when installed, you need to make sure that you get it right. If you are not experienced with dealing with deadbolts, it is strongly recommended that you hire a locksmith. You may end up saving money when you do.
- They are durable. Deadbolts may be inexpensive, but one thing’s for sure- they are very durable. Many homeowners can attest to that. A deadbolt can last for decades if it is taken care of properly. But, just like any other lock, if you subject it to a lot of stress, pressure and excessive wear and tear, it may need replacing prematurely. To ensure that your deadbolt enjoys a long lifespan, make sure that you maintain it adequately. Clean it and lubricate it when necessary. Plus, make sure that both sides always line up perfectly well.
Installing a Deadbolt on Your Own
Many products nowadays come with step-by-step instructions for their installation so you may find these instructions in your deadbolt package too. However, it is highly advised that you let the professionals take care of it for you. Here at Birmingham Locksmith in Birmingham, Alabama, we have the expertise, knowledge and experience needed for a neat, clean and quick install for your deadbolt. Ready to install it? Just give us a call. Once you’re in our neck of the woods, we will be there.